Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Can I claim my student loan interest on my taxes?

I got a notice stating how much interest I paid on my student loan last year. Can I claim this on my taxes? If so what form do I need to fill out in order to claim them?

Can I claim my student loan interest on my taxes?
Well, as this deduction was extended after the tax forms went to print, I suggest you use software or an online service to get it in the right line and make the appropriate notation. Its going to be chaos this year for those who normally do paper returns. The main software companies will be able to deal with this quite easily.





Go to the link below and click on "Start Now" to be guided to the most appropriate company to use. Depending on your circumstances, you may qualify for free filing.
Reply:Yes, you definitely want to claim the interest paid on your student loans. The interest gets deducted from your taxable income. There's a line in the 1040 form that mentions student loan interest, so you'll want to read the 1040 instructions when you are filling out your taxes.


No comments:

Post a Comment