Sunday, March 14, 2010

How crucial permits to get loan on house I am selling?

I have 50 yr old house I fixed up that looks very nice but two of the additions from 20 years ago do not have permits and do not meet code, but they are nice addtions to the house and safe, etc. How tough will it be for a buyer to get a fha or va or conventional loan on this house without permits? My realtor says VA or FHA won't allow it.

How crucial permits to get loan on house I am selling?
I have been in real estate for 29 years and have sold unknown hundreds of houses. I bet some have had additions built without permits. I have never had a loan of any kind fall thru because of the lack of permits.





I have had some fall thru because of shoddy condition.
Reply:Oh jeez...get a new Realtor.





I can't believe that your Realtor is so inexperienced with FHA/VA that she actually thinks that they will ask for permits on an addition for 20 years ago.





As a former DIRECT ENDORSEMENT UNDERWRITER for FHA/VA, I can tell you that as long as your house appraises and there isn't any MAJOR issues (and this is true with ANY home..not just FHA/VA) with code, then you should be fine.





Your Realtor needs to stay updated. Appraisals used to have something called VC sheets, and these were long, detailed sheets that pretty much forced the appraiser to do an inspection on the property...and appraisers were never happy with it as it's not their area of expertise. They are not home inspectors nor are licensed to do so.





The VC sheets were done away with by FHA/VA a couple of years ago, and this really cleared the way toward making these loans more streamlined.





There are also exceptions in every state on building code...if at the time the repairs were made, it met code, if they don't meet code now...that doesn't matter. A good example is fuse boxes...these don't meet code in most places, but unless you are doing an electrical overhaul, you don't have to change it to a box.





Get a NEW Realtor that stays updated in her field!


No comments:

Post a Comment