Saturday, October 24, 2009

I need to repay a student loan. My husband is claiming me on his taxes Can they hold his refund because of me?

I have no income but I have defaulted on a student loan. My husband is claiming me on his taxes. Because of my default on the loan can his refund be held?

I need to repay a student loan. My husband is claiming me on his taxes Can they hold his refund because of me?
Well your husband is not claiming you, you are probably filing Married Filing Jointly. If you are in default of a Student Loan they can apply the Refund Check to the default. However, your husband can file an Injured Spouse Petition and he would be able to get his portion of the refund back. How much he would get allocated back could be dependent on your state.


.
Reply:yes, and they probably will, are you married filling jointly? I bet you are.


No comments:

Post a Comment